When searching for a job, most people are eager in applying to anything and everything in hopes they land a position. This method can get messy and it is usually a waste of your time and effort. Let’s take a step back and strategically plan your upcoming job search. Here are 4 steps to take before you submit your next job application!
1. Establish a Career Objective
- The first step is to identify your personal skills and abilities. What are you good at and what do you like to do? A job should reflect your interests, personality and values!
- Use that piece of paper you paid thousands of dollars for! If you have a degree or certificate, then search all of the possible jobs that you are eligible for with your skills and knowledge.
2. Prepare Job Search Tools
- Now you are ready to prepare all the materials you would need to apply to an available job position. These materials include: resume, cover letter, references, letters of recommendation and portfolio (if applicable).
- It is best to have multiple people look these items over to check for any typos or errors.
- Be sure to save a digital copy of these items for ease of access and editing. Most applications are done online so having that digital copy will save you time in the future.
3. Find Hiring Companies
- Your next step is to search for jobs that align with your goals and match your skill set.
- LinkedIn, Indeed, Glassdoor and Craigslist are great websites to start your job search.
- Also, if you have a few companies in mind that you think you would enjoy working at, stay up to date on their job openings through their website.
- Utilize recruiting agencies: Allevity Recruiting & Staffing select candidates from their database that have the required skills for their available job positions.
4. Network (Social and Face-to-Face)
- Don’t get us wrong, it’s definitely WHAT you know, but WHO you know is a huge help too.
- Take account of your existing network and reach out to anyone you think could help with your career goals.
- Sometimes it’s easier to network backwards. Start with a job of interest and using LinkedIn, find out who you’re connected to who knows someone in the company who can refer you (LinkedIn).
Follow these steps and you are ready to start applying! Good luck and be sure to fill out our online application for an easy way to kick-off your job hunt.